No. 116: Rebuilding the Bump Out onthe Ackle Layout, Part 2

This post will be more boring than usual.  It will serve as a record-keeping function for me.

The last time the bump-out was seen, in Post 112, Rebuilding the Bump Out, Part 1, it looked like this.  The original bump-out was removed so the track could be re-aligned to accommodate two freight customers.  At this stage I had completed the new benchwork, laid roadbed and track, and completed landforms.  Ballasting was underway.

IMG_2735

Here’s another view with everything cleaned up.

IMG_2774

I wanted this track to be buried in mud and debris and grass.  I applied matte medium with an eyedropper between the rails in many places and then applied Woodland Scenicks fine green grass mix and then static grasses.

IMG_3787

When everything was dry I went back and added some more ground foam, a few peel-and-stick weeds, and some dirt and other material to represent spillage and mud. 

IMG_4380

I am very happy with the results.

IMG_3898

The last major step to completing the new bump-out was installing new Masonite fascia.  I cut it at the wood shop at the air base.  Here’s the completed fascia in the back of the Volvo, heading home.

IMG_4005

In addition to installing new fascia on the bump out, I also cut new fascia for most of the layout.  It is amazing how much punishment that fascia takes in just a couple of years.

IMG_4226

I cut long strips of fascia at the wood shop and then was able to cut it to fit with a box knife.  A good, steady cut and a little sanding yielded clean, straight cuts.  Here is all the new fascia cut and fitted. 

IMG_4011

A view from the other side.

IMG_4012

Next I removed the new fascia again for painting.

sdfafgfg

I had to put on two or three coats of paint.  It took exactly two hours to complete.  I took a day of leave from work to get the job accomplished without interruption.

uoliol

After the paint was dry, installation was a snap.  A thorough floor and layout cleaning go everything looks great again.

IMG_4374

Now we can get back to building construction.  The major industry on this branch was Carstens, a contracting company that received lumber, construction material of all kinds, and coal.  That industry is not modeled.  The branch also had–in the very old days–a second grain mill, come coal bins, and a few other industries. 

As mentioned in a previous post, I don’t have information on the mill so I built a representational model based on the mill at Carver, Minnesota, which is near the family farm in Chanhassen.

IMG_2502

The original plan was to sheath the building in dark, weathered wood.  After I completed the sheathing, using Evergreen styrene strip, it looked to me like a bad model of a log cabin as seen below.

IMG_3923

I quickly repainted it gray as it was seen in the 1950s…

IMG_4413

IMG_4418

I think the mill was gone by my modeling date–1950–so I intend to finish the building as a weary but active structure somewhat along the lines of this Tom Johnson masterpiece.

yuyui

Next to this elevator I’d like to build some coal bins.  Sanborn maps show bins, but there are no pictures available to help prototype modeling.  So, I’d like to build open bins and found this aerial photo online of another M&StL station that has the kind of open bins I’m looking for.  The photo below is little grainy, but you can see 6-7 bins there, built in sort of a semi-circle, and reached by a conveyor.

Coal Bins

After all this work…and here I am thinking of rebuilding the whole layout!  – John

 

 

 

3 thoughts on “No. 116: Rebuilding the Bump Out onthe Ackle Layout, Part 2

  1. Nice work on the branch! But you are thinking of starting over??? Maybe an O scale layout? Maybe something with another town on the other side and double ended staging?

    Like

  2. Hi Fred, yeah, I’m thinking of starting over to make the layout longer, but less wide. The layout now is about 29 inches wide and 16 feet long. I think, if I’m careful–and if I can curve it around the corners–I could make it about 30 feet long and less wide–maybe around 20 inches.

    Or I might model a new location! I’m still trying to figure out what I want…

    Like

    • if you don’t change what location you model, can you just make the add on’s only 20 inches wide and leave the original at 29 inches. How about make a “c” shaped layout or “G” with a staging yard at one end.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s